Router Plane

Monday, December 15, 2014

A Sam Maloof Rocking Chair - The Start

Sam Maloof  Rocking Chair
Building a Maloof style sculpted rocking chair has been on my “bucket list” of things to do for a long time.  I just never had the time or what I felt was sufficient skills to pull it off.  This fall while searching the internet for something else I came across one of these rocking chairs made out of cherry whose auction estimate was $40,000 - $60,000.  Since I had finished up most of the projects that needed to be done this brought up the thought of trying to build one of these chairs again.   

I was pretty sure that to pull this off I needed plans and preferably some sort of how-to sculpting guidance.   Research brought up two authors, Charles Brock and Scott Morrison both of which had plans and a DVD.  I ended up going with the Scott Morrison materials because the videos he posted on YouTube presented things in a clear and concise way.  Also, a few years ago while my dad and I were at the St Louis Woodworking show Scott was there discussing how to build one of these chairs and I felt that he knew what he was talking about.  The plan consists of a 2’ x 7’ paper sheet with various pieces drawn out to full scale.  That along with 3 DVD’s made up the set.  

Next up – Material Selection

2 comments:

  1. Very excited to see how this project turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave. Like you, this chair had been on my bucket list for years, and I finally, with considerable trepidation, decided to take the plunge. Almost 10 years after you completed yours, and taking me a year to finish, I now have a beautiful, exquisitely comfortable rocker in my home. This was a really gratifying project and your kindness and professionally produced blog were of enormous help and inspiration.

    I hope you don't mind that I have interspersed comments in various episodes that I thought might help the next brave traveller along this road. I did not have as well-equipped shop as you, and wanted to reassure others that it is possible to get by without a lathe, pneumatic tools, and a drum sander, as I was worried about that when I started down the path.

    ReplyDelete