Router Plane

Monday, December 29, 2014

A Maloof Style Rocking Chair - Making Templates

My first step was to go to a copy shop and have the plans duplicated so I could keep the original and use the copy for making the templates.  With three exceptions I used thin plywood underlayment for the base.  The exceptions were for jigs to cut dados, the form to laminate the rockers on and the back slats template.  The jigs had to be thicker (¾”) to provide support and registration for the dado.  The rocker form needed to be thicker (1½”) and solid enough to allow clamping of the laminating plies that form the rockers while gluing.  The back slat template needed more flexibility, so I used thin plastic laminate.
Building Jig Blank for Rockers
To make the templates I cut the paper copy apart leaving an inch or so beyond the finish size and glued it to base material with the same spray adhesive I use for mounting photos to foam core.  
Paper Pattern Mounted on Backer
Once glued I cut close to the line with the bandsaw then used an oscillating drum sander, disk sander, files, and hand sanding to fair the curves and match the paper pattern.  
Bandsawn Template
Finished Template
One thing that I noticed on the paper templates is that whatever CADD program the templates were developed on the large curves were not completely smooth.  By that I mean on close inspection you could see the individual straight segments that made up the curve.  It was not a big item as I cleaned them up when going from the bandsaw cut to finished template.  Also, it probably won’t make a real difference in the final sculpting as that is done by eye and to touch.

Completed Templates
Next up – Seat Mockup, Part 1 Rough Cutting

4 comments:

  1. I know this is a long shot, but do you have an electronic copy of the templates you made for the rockers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have an electronic copy just the paper original. The original is about 2’ wide by 7’ long and came as a part of the Scott Morrison DVD/plans instructions. They can be purchased separately. If you use his plans I caution you that there is an error in his seat dimensions. Take a look at the April 27, 2105 post to see what I mean.

      dave

      Delete
  2. Hi, do you still have the template for the maloof style rocking chair? because I’m trying to make a chair and don’t have the correct templates. Is there a way you can help me, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To get a set if the drawings I would suggest you contact the Scott Morrison for them and the DVD he made at
    smorrison@finewoodworker.com

    ReplyDelete