Router Plane

Monday, June 24, 2019

FLW Cabinet - #5 Bandsawing, a Revision & Work on Doors


With the bandsaw now in better shape than it ever was I was ready to re-saw the 16 side spacers.  First step is to use my marking gauge set at 9/16” or 1/16” over my final finished dimension of ½”.  Here you can just see the pencil mark on the board edge.  The knot is not a problem as it will be cut out before I am finished.


This is my standard re-sawing setup; a pivot point so I can correct the blade path when it starts to drift one way or another and my magnetic featherboard set to apply a little pressure against the piece to hold it tight to the pivot point.

Here is the cut piece right off the saw and I am really happy with the result.  Too bad it only took me 18 years to correct the original problem. 

Once all 16 pieces were re-sawn I ran them through the thickness sander to clean up what little roughness the bandsaw left then set them aside.  These pieces are all flatsawn so I think that they will cup at least a little as they adjust to their new thickness.  The flat stack on the right are the ripped cutoffs I will save for another project.

Next the ¾” thick parts for the doors were cut to rough width and set aside to rest.  While doing this it occurred to me that I had a problem with my original door corner joint.  Because the glass panel in the door is large and fairly heavy, I wanted as much strength at the corner as possible.  To get the maximum glue surface I will use a bridal joint as shown on the left.  The problem with that is to cut the center out I need to use a jig on the table saw which requires the piece to stand on end.  Not a problem with a normal cabinet door but this one is almost 78” tall which is 1” more than the distance between the top of my table saw and the ceiling.  My next version was to go to a regular mortise and tenon joint shown in the middle.  However, with that cut the available glue area is reduced by almost 50% so it’s not a good option.  Last and what I plan on doing is reversing the bridal joint so the piece I need to sand on end to cut the tenon is not the upright but the cross piece.  That piece is only about 31” well within what’s possible to cut. 

The only real difference is the how the stiles and rails intersect.  The left image shows the original plan and the right shows the revised plan.

While making those changes, I also made some minor detail changes to the case construction and now hope the design is pretty much set although from past experience I know that’s not the case as things will change.  Below is a revised cut list based on the updated plans.

Because the existing leaded glass window is the key component and has a fixed size that means the actual construction of the piece starts with fitting the door to the glass then working my way out.  It’s like building a room to fit a piece of furniture instead of finding a piece of furniture to fit in the room.   The drawing of the horizontal rails is below.  The left side show the back with the recess at the bottom for the window while the one on the right is the front side.  The small squares are where wood pegs will go.  More on that later.

This is the drawing for the back of the vertical stiles.  The recess shown on the bottom is where the sides of the window will go.  The tenon on the end gets cut and fitted after the mortise in the rail since its easier to fit the tenon to the mortise than the other way around.  More on that later too.

As the door stiles and rails have been sitting for a few days it’s time to check them out to see if they are still true or if they have moved.  As I left the rough-cut pieces their thickness was roughly 13/16” thick.  Fortunately, they are stable so the work could progress without any gymnastics to get them back into shape.  What was needed was to get rid of the planer scallops and get all the pieces to a constant thickness.  As they sit now the thickness varies a little and to make the corner bridal joints being off a little will make the difference between a great fit and a sloppy one.  The photo on the top shows the before view and you can see the board is far from being smooth.  After running it through the thickness sander loaded with 220 grit sandpaper the bottom photo is the result, nice and smooth.  Checking with a dial caliper the thickness of all the pieces varied by only .0025” or 25 ten-thousandths of an inch, about like a sheet of typing paper.  They are a little over ¾” but in this case that’s not a problem.  Getting them the same exact width is the primary goal.
Spending some time deciding which face to present to the outside and which to go inside the cabinet is next.  As the boards were rough-cut about ¼” wide flaws within that range can be cut off.  About half of the boards made for an easy decision with better looking grain on one face or a flaw that needed to be dealt with.  Here is an example of a crack that I want to get rid of.  It will go inside the cabinet and up next to the glass window.  That edge has a ¼” by 5/16” recess cut for the glass to sit in so between trimming the width and cutting the recess the crack will get removed. 

A trip through the table saw gets all the rails and stiles to their appropriate width plus 1/32”.  Just a little insurance in case I get some chip out while making cuts.  Here are the pieces ready to have a trim cut on the #1 end to square them up followed but a cut to length on the “X” end.

Next up – Door Joints Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment