Router Plane

Monday, March 25, 2019

2 Piece Turned Bowl - #4 Inside Finishing & Making a Live Center Cone


For the finish I am going to use a multi-layer approach using dye, a gel stain and lacquer for the final top-coat.  However, before I apply anything, I need to mask off the flat part of the rim where both halves will be glued together as bare wood is needed to make a good glue joint.  Blue painter tape is applied in strips to cover the band then a sharp knife is used to cut the tape where the dished-out area meets the glue band.  The left photo below shows the tape applied but not cut while the right side shows the completed top.  The same process is used for the bottom piece.


Next is to mix up a little dye for my base.  I have a storage drawer with samples of the various finishes from different projects including ones the did not end up being used.  They all have instructions on the back for what was used and in what order.  All I have to do is pick the finish wanted and follow the instructions.  For this piece here is my sample block and the instructions.  I think this is from a hall cabinet I made for my son. 

When I mix the dye, I use denatured alcohol as a solvent instead of water so as not to raise the grain. Here is what I use to make up a batch.  Since there is not a lot of area to dye, I only mixed up a Tablespoon.

This is what the finished surfaces look like once the dye mixture had dried.  I probably only used about ¾ of the Tablespoon I had mixed up so it does not take a lot.  One note if you really flood the surface and put too much on then as it dries the excess can bleed out of the pores which leaves a blotchy surface.  If that happens all is not lost just wet a paper towel with alcohol and rub out the surface.  The alcohol dissolves the dye and evens everything out. 

Before putting the gel stain on I want to seal the dye.  In other pieces I have used a coat of shellac as a sealer but in this case decided to try a thin coat of lacquer which is made up by thinning the lacquer by about 50%.  Here is the setup ready to spray.

It did not take more than a couple of minutes to give both halves a coat of the thinned lacquer and in 15 minutes it was dry to the touch.  That said they will be left to cure overnight as it’s still a little cool in the shop here.

The next day I rubbed a dark walnut gel stain into the open pores darkening them but because of the coat of lacquer the stain did not darken the lighter smooth area.  The photo below shows what it looks like.  Compared against the “before” image you can’t see much but in person the pores are darker and have more contrast than before.  

After drying overnight it’s time to put a few coats of lacquer on for the final finish.  The nice thing about spraying lacquer is that at this time of year the finish goes dust-free in maybe 10 minutes or less and you can apply coats every couple of hours.  Here is the result with the tape removed after I sprayed on four coats lightly sanding with 220 grit paper between the second and third coats.  The final coat was left to cure for a couple of days then wet sanded using a foam backed piece with a grit of 8,000.  That gets rid of any little dust nibs giving a very smooth surface.

I have given quite a bit of thought as to how mount the piece to the lathe after gluing the two halves together.  Originally the plan was to use a smooth cone inserted into the top hole to spin the piece and have a live center in the tailstock with a flat plate set in a recess in the foot which would act as a stabilizer.  While it made some sense, I was concerned about how well using the cone would work.  There would not be much surface area contact between the cone and the edge of the hole plus both surfaces would be really smooth.  What that boils down to is there would not be very much friction available to spin the bowl.  What changed my mind was when I unclamped the bottom half of the bowl from the large jaws.  Since the clamping faces are smooth and their arc closely matches the arc of the foot there was virtually no damage to the oak.  That meant gently clamping the foot in the large jaws and using a soft wood cone in the top hole acting as a stabilizer now sounded like a better idea.  Now I just needed to make cone.

One of my live centers has a threaded end which allows me to mount to it whatever shape I need, in this case the cone.  The material the cone is made from needs to have one end that is relatively soft so as to not damage the top hole while the opposite end needs to be harder so it can be threaded to match the threaded end on the live center.  The solution is to glue a piece of softwood in this case a scrap of 2x4 to a piece of oak.  The oak came from a cutoff from the bowl blank.  Here you can see what that looks like.
 
Once the glue cured the block was rough cut round, mounted between centers and turned to a circle.  That was mounted in the chuck using the medium jaws and two holes were drilled.  First, a shallow one that will act as a registration surface up against the base of the live center to keep the axis true.  The second hole shown here and just completed is sized so I can cut threads that match the threaded end in the live center.  

Next is to cut the threads with a tap.  This is the setup and while it looks a little Rube Goldbergish it works.  Here’s how, the wood block with the clamp has a hole drilled about half way through that fits the end of the tap and holds it in place.  A smaller hole centered in the first one goes the rest of the way through and has the point of the live center run into it.  That means when I align the tap in the hole to be threaded with the piece of wood in the chuck, the tap and the live center are all aligned with the center axis of lathe and I will get a set of threads centered on that axis.  All well and good but you ask, “What’s the clamp on the block of wood for?”  Well, I need one hand to turn the chuck, one hand to apply pressure to the tailstock to keep the live center tight to wood as the tap gets pulled into the hole while cutting the threads and one hand to hold the block from turning.  Total is one more hand than I have.  Using the clamp keeps the block from turning as its bar is between the lathe bed ways.  

Final bit of work is to screw the wood piece onto the live center, add a small bolt through it locking the end in place to keep it from spinning and turn it the desired profile. 

Taking the live center off the lathe and removing the turned cone you can see how it goes together.  The number "4" on the oak matches the #4 chuck jaw so if I ever need to remount it I can put it back in the chuck in the same place as before.

Next up – Testing a Turquoise Inlay

No comments:

Post a Comment