Router Plane

Monday, December 17, 2018

Kitchen Spatula & Chopping Block - #3 Background & Making “Bricks”


I do a fair amount of cooking and almost all the slicing, dicing and chopping when my wife and I cook in the kitchen.  Currently I have a 26” square hard maple face grain chopping block that is right at 1¼” thick.  It has been in constant use for the better part of 10 years.  I treat it with mineral oil on a regular basis and it is in good shape with a lot of life still in it.  Here is what it looks like after being oiled up.  Not bad but I want to replace it.


Well, you ask what’s the matter with it and the answer is really nothing major.  So why the replacement?  There are a couple of reasons.  I like the length but it could be a little narrower to give a bit more space on the far side of the island.  That and I wanted an end grain block rather than a face grain one.  It is one of those things that fall in the “nice to have” category rather than the “need to have” and I have the time now to make one. 

That said I did not want the typical end grain chopping block made out of a bunch of maple blocks aligned so the end grain faces up glued together like a checkerboard.  If I was going to make one, I wanted it to have some character and be a little out of the ordinary.  Staying with the idea of blocks I decided that rather than square blocks I would use rectangular ones put together like a brick wall.  Going with the brick wall motif I decided to add thin strips between them that would represent the mortar in a brick wall.  I wanted the cutting board made out of wood that was not porous like oak, not soft like pine or poplar.  In the end I decided to use cherry thinking the red color would be reminiscent of bricks and hard maple for the mortar.  I have a fair amount of 13/16” thick cherry so decided to go with ¾” thick blocks which would give me 1/16” for milling.  Using 1/8” for the mortar seemed like a good idea so using SketchUp I put together a drawing of what I have in mind.  Here is the drawing and if I don’t change my mind before I get done it’s going to have 799 pieces. The dimensions are a little small but the length is 25 1/8", the width 21 3/4" and the thickness is 2".


Calculating the amount of material needed to make this project gave me a surprise in that it’s going to require quite a pile of wood.  Going through my material inventory gave me this stack.  It should be really close unless I run into some surprises as the cutting gets going.  For reference the long pieces are about 8’ long.


Because all of the cherry boards had only one fairly good edge plus some twist and a little cup, I decided to start out by cutting to rough length getting rid of splits, cracks, knots and any other defects.  With that done I ripped off the bad edge giving me parallel edges.  Next is to rotate the board 180 degrees and recut the first edge giving me a relatively square and pretty parallel set of edges to work from.  Here you can see how the material broke down.  I ended up with good groups of similar sized pieces plus a handful of odd sized ones.  The three paper tabs are notes to myself showing the estimate of how many finished pieces will be obtained out of each stack.  On the left is a group of odd sized boards marked with chalk listing what they are planned being cut into.  I will give them a day or so to sit and see if they are stable before going on.

Next is to rip all these rough-cut pieces down to slightly oversized blanks.  I started by switching out the combination blade normally kept on the table saw to a rip blade and in this case a thin kerf rip blade.  Below is a photo showing the difference between my combination blade and a rip blade. 

I have two different thicknesses of rip blades, a regular one and a thin kerf one.  Because I was ripping several blanks out of each of the wide boards, I wanted to minimize the amount of material turned into sawdust and maybe squeeze another piece out of the board.  Below shows the difference between regular and thin kerf blades.  It's about 1/32" thinner which may not sound like much but over all the pieces being cut it adds up in excess of 2½".

After spending what seemed like forever running boards through the saw here is my stack of 85 oversized blanks.  They are a constant width but the thickness varies.  Cutting the wide boards down in width helps reduce the measurable cupping and twist in each board.  It’s still there but if I cut a board into six pieces the scope of the problems gets divided by six.

Next is to accomplish three things, remove the cup, twist and get all of the pieces to a constant thickness.  That is done by running them through the thickness sander.  They are short enough that the sanding drum with remove the twist and cup while bringing them all to a constant thickness.

With all the pieces the same thickness I headed back to the table saw to take a skim cut from one side to square it up to the newly flattened parallel faces and then rip the opposite edge square, just a hair wide and parallel to the opposite side.  With that done it’s back to the sander for a couple of passes to remove the saw cutting marks.  Here is that process in progress. 

Last step with these pieces is to sort through all of them looking for any problems that have shown up while getting them to this stage.  I had cut a few extras and indeed did have some with internal checks or other problems that got them rejected.  Here is the final stack of “brick” pieces plus one of the bad ones. 

Next up – Ripping the Maple Thin Strips

No comments:

Post a Comment