Router Plane

Monday, December 28, 2015

Snare Drum – Bearing Edge, Jigs & Mounting Hardware

While I had cleaned up the parted edge it was not really finished.  I needed to get a flat square surface before I started on the bearing edge detail.  To get that I started by clamping a couple of sheets of 120 grit sandpaper to the extension on my table saw and chalked up the parted edge.
Chalked Edge - Ready to Flatten 
Flipping the chalked the edge over I carefully sanded that surface checking frequently to see when all the chalk had been removed.  When it was gone I knew I had a flat and square surface.
Flattened Edge

To get the double 45 degree bearing edge we had decided on I used a 45 degree carbide chamfer bit in the router table.  From my experience turning the shell I knew that Leopardwood is very hard.  What I did not know was how brittle the wood was and how susceptible to chipping it could be while being routed.   With that in mind I decided to error on the side of caution using climb cutting and taking many passes on the router table to cut the bevel.  
Bearing Edge Detail and Router Setup
The router in my table is a 3½ horsepower model and to get a feel for how the leopardwood would route I started with a cut just over 1/16” deep.  Surprisingly, even with that small a cut I could hear the load it put on the router.  As the depth of the bevel increased the size and amount being cut increased I gradually reduced the cut depth to keep from loading the router too much.  The last cut was just over 1/64”.  Here the top and bottom inside bevel has been cut.  I will wait until after I get the holes for the lugs measured and drilled before I cut the outside bevel for a couple of reasons.  First, I wanted a flat surface for reference when I layout the lug holes.  Second, where the two cuts meet there will be a fairly sharp edge that I do not want to dent or otherwise damage so the later it’s cut the better.  I will probably make that cut the next to last operation.
Inside Finished Bearing Edge & Close-up

Next I needed to build a jig to hold the drum in the drill press so the mounting holes would be on axis to the drum center.  I also wanted a softer surface against the drum so as not to scratch the finish sanding job.  To that end I beveled a couple pieces of extruded Styrofoam to closely match the curve of the drum, mounted them to a piece of MDF and clamped it all to the drill press table.
 
Jig for Drilling Lug Holes
Once I got the new lugs I could measure for the hole size and layout where they will go.  With that done I set the shell in the jig, used a square to align it so the drill hit my mark and is lined up with the shells center line.  Now with everything braced in place and square I clamped a piece of 4” PVC pipe in place.  This will act as a backup so when drilling the holes the drill would not blow out the backside of the shell when it cut through.  If you look at the right image you can see the white of the PVC at the bottom of the hole.
Jig and Close-up of Hole

After getting everything set for the first hole it’s a simple matter of loosening the band clamp, rotating the shell 36 degrees, aligning everything then drilling the hole.  The setup takes way longer than the actual drilling.  Repeat the process 9 more times and Ta-Da it’s done, ready for the lugs to be attached.
Shell with Lug Holes Drilled

At this point I did a test fit with all the lugs, tension rods, heads and hoops installed.  Everything aligned, was plumb, square and fit just perfect.
Test Fit

With that done it’s on to adding the last two pieces of hardware.  The throwout which controls the snare on the bottom head and it’s anchor on the opposite side of the drum.  Since we had not decided their location as to how far up they went on the side of the drum a brief discussion with the client answered the question, 2” from the bottom.  More measuring and 4 holes later they were mounted.
Throwout and Anchor Installed

The next step was to cut the outside part of the double 45 bearing edge.  It is cut the same way as the inside, using the router with a 45 degree bit.  After a couple of passes I marked the flat area on the edge with a red marker shown on the left photo.  With that as a guide I raised the router bit a little at a time until only a trace of the line remained, right photo.  Lastly, a light sanding rounded and blended that flat surface into the two 45 degree angled cuts giving the bearing edge we wanted.
Cutting  Outside of Bearing Edge (L) in Progress, (R) Ready to Blend

Only one bit of woodworking remained and that was the arc for the snare cords.  To make this last jig I took a full size print-out of it, laminated that to a piece of cardboard and cut it to shape.  We had initially set the cut depth at 3/16” as shown here but in a later discussion the client wanted to decrease the depth of the cut from 3/16” to 1/8”.  That was no problem I just adjusted the template I had made down by 1/16” and clamped it in place. 
Snare Cut Template

Using a small drum sander in the Dremel tool I cut the rim to size then did the same on the opposite side.  Some hand sanding to clean up the surface, ease the edges and I was done.
Finished Snare Cut

That only left some final hand sanding and I was ready to apply the finish.
Sanded Shell Ready for Finish


Next Up – Finishing & Another Problem

No comments:

Post a Comment