Router Plane

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Dining/Game Table - #3 Finish Milling Major Leg Pieces & Test Fits

The table legs are longer than 24” which is the longer than my longest precision metal ruler so I need to use something else.  The typical tape measure comes to mind as the first choice but I do not use them except for rough layout or where being a little off is not a problem.  In an ideal world the hook at the end of the tape would slide back and forth equal to its thickness giving the same measurement regardless if the tape is hooked over the end of a board or up against a flat surface.  My tapes don’t live in an ideal world and the result is they give a slightly different measurement depending on how the end hook is used.  Here you can see that there is about 1/32” difference.  Not a lot and most of the time it would not matter but here where I am trying to get the table legs and rails to match up perfectly I don’t know which to believe when I am setting my stop block on the chop saw to length.
Metal Tape Measuring Difference

What I do use is an old school wooden folding ruler.
 
Wooden Folding Ruler
Next up is to cut the long and short leg sections that have the rabbits.  I have a “T” track inset in my workbench that allows me to clamp a stop block in place.  That way I can very carefully set it up once and then cut pieces all day the exact same length.
 
Sliding Compound Miter Saw & Stop Block
With the wide set of leg pieces all cut to finished size I could lay out the rabbits on each side.  Here is the L1-S (Leg1-Short) piece marked up.  The rabbits are marked out pretty close but not exact.  They are a really a general guide to help me make sure I cut in the right place rather than an exact cut line.  I will use a dial caliper and the pieces that go in the rabbit to get a precise fit.
Leg with Rabbits Marked Out

Here are the wide pieces with some of the rabbit layout work done.
Pieces to be Rabbited

When I finished marking up all the pieces I swapped out the rip blade on the table saw and set up the stack dado blade.  The rabbit I am going to cut is a little over ¾” wide and about 9/16” deep.  I suppose I could cut it in one pass but that’s turning a lot of oak into sawdust at once.  I decided to take a little strain off the saw and me and do it in 2 main passes with a final cleanup cut.  A little calculation shows that by the time I get done cutting the rabbits I will have converted over 370 cubic inches of oak into sawdust.  Odds are I will have to empty the table saw dust collector during the process.  The dado stack set I am using has three 1/8” thick blades and one 3/32” thick.  That gives me a total slightly over half the entire cut so I have a little overlap.  This is my setup, note the yellow feather board beyond the cut.  It applies just a little pressure on the board to keep it snug against the rip fence.  I make two passes on each cut, the first hogs out 99% of the material and the second takes care of any variation during cutting so I end up with a clean, straight, flat bottom cut.
 
Table Saw Setup for Cutting Rabbits with Dado
Adjusting the fence to take another cut then running all eight pieces through the saw gets me very close to the final depth as confirmed by a test fit.
Second Cut & Test Fit

Moving the fence once more to make the final light cut gives me the fit I am looking for.  When clamped up tight it’s just a couple thousands too deep as you can see when you get really close.
Tiny Lip on Cut Rabbit

Having that little lip means I can lightly sand the overage and get a perfectly smooth joint for routing a round over on the edge later on.  My goal is to have the leg look like it’s made out of a solid piece of oak.  That’s why I am taking so much time to match the grain and precisely cut the joints.
Final Test Fit

Now it’s time to rip the rest of the pieces that make up the center column in the leg.  They need to be cut so that when installed the column is a square.  I want all corners to be exactly 90 degrees and the sides as close to being equal width as I can.   This is so when the time comes to install the two bands of mitered trim wrapping the leg the pieces should be the same or very close in length.  Time spent now will pay off in not spending lots of time individually cutting and mitering all 32 of those trim pieces.  With the inset pieces cut to size I can do a test assembly to see how all the careful material selection, layout and cutting come together.  Here are photos of the bottom part of the leg along with a close-up of it.  As you can see the joints are pretty unobtrusive.
Dry Fit of Leg

Last step here is to cut the inset pieces to length.  It’s the same process as before; squaring one end, measuring, setting a stop block and making the cuts, with one exception.  Before I decide which end to cut off I have to check for grain flow and how it matches up with the adjacent pieces.  This is how the four leg parts look all done and ready for the next step.
Leg Pieces Ordered for Grain Flow

I have been looking at various biscuit joiners for when I do the top and saw this tag at the local Home Depot regarding a Ryobi Biscuit Joiner.  Take a look at the second box from the left (circled in red).  It says 10,000 Amps.  I got a real laugh out of that since it’s about 50 times the power capacity of the entire house.  I believe the first number of 6.0 Amps is right and the 10,000 should be RPM’s.  Still it was funny, I guess I am easily amused.
Funny Home Depot Biscuit Joiner Sticker



Next Up – Leg Foot Blocking, Glue-up & a Problem

No comments:

Post a Comment