Router Plane

Monday, August 15, 2016

Dining/Game Table - #1 The Start

This project has had a long gestation period, longer than just about anything I have built.  Many, many months ago while visiting my son he mentioned that his dining room table was in sad shape and he had been looking at replacing it with a nice combination game/dining room table.   Later that year he sent me a couple of links that to places that sold them and asked my opinion.   Toward the end of the year when I asked him what he would like for Christmas he said he really did not need anything but mentioned the game/dining room table as something on his wish list.

At that time, I really had nothing in the que for projects in the shop and decided to see what I could come up with as a design.  If I could generate a good design, then we would talk about building.

As you might guess we did get a good design and I agreed to build the piece.  However, rather than jumping into the construction of this project I am going to take some time to go through the design process.  I started by sending my son a lot of different photos of various styles.  These are not all but give an idea of span of styles we looked at.

Through discussion of what he liked and wanted in the piece we narrowed it down to four general styles.   A dining surface and a hidden gaming table below drove the general dimensions.  That left the legs and top apron as areas that were open for variations.  I did four drawings with different leg styles all set up as a gaming table.  One of the early criteria was to have thin pull out trays as a place to hold a drink, cards, chips, playing pieces and the like.  Here are the renderings with the trays closed.

Here they are with the trays pulled out. Additional discussion narrowed it down to one style, the square leg with some trim.  As we had not made any decision on what to make the table out of I had shown Oak as the primary wood with a lighter color trim such as curly maple. 

There are two other constraints in this project.  One was that the top needed to protect the game surface below from spills when it was in place and second, for delivery, the whole piece needs to be able to be broken down to fit inside our 2007 Toyota Camry.  Nothing like adding a little bit extra to the design parameters.  The need to have a top that would protect the game surface, would be removable and not weigh a ton was probably the hardest problem to resolve.  The typical solution of individual boards dropped into an inset just did not meet the requirements.  What I finally came up with is a top that overlays the table and is in two pieces.  It uses a notch in the table to hold it in place, alignment pins where the two pieces meet plus a gasket.  The overlay will allow spills to sheet off the top and the gasket will prevent or at least slow down a spill migrating through to the game surface.  At least that’s the plan.  Here is what the table looked like at this point.  By now the table material had morphed into a darker oak with oak trim.  The exact stain mix was still to be determined.

This point in the design coincided with the build of the Photo Club Cabinet and I felt we had a workable plan so I decided to take the hour’s drive to the hardwood supplier and get material for both projects.  Here is the part breakdown for the table as it was at that time.

Additional discussion and some experimentation of the size of the game playing surface needed brought about a concern regarding being able to reach across the tray and the gaming surface.  The initial option was to eliminate the tray leaving only the cup holders.

More study on the size of the playing surface produced two more changes.  First was to eliminate any pull out tray including the cup holders.  Second was to change the playing surface width to a true 42” which added about 8” to the width.  There were some other small changes like the addition of a chamfer on the legs to get rid of the sharp edge and structural changes to allow everything to fit in the car for transportation.  Here is a rendering before adding the 8” in width and after.

Part way through the design process my son made the decision to get new dining chairs so we decided to stop the stain color discussions until he had received them.  We could then work toward a final stain mix.  Once he had the chairs I started mixing various dyes to come up with a recipe that would either match or compliment the chairs.  Fortunately, the store where he bought the chairs has an outlet here that had the same chair.  Some 10 or 12 iterations later I came up with a couple of recipes that looked to be really close.  I cut some thin oak sample pieces, applied stain, sprayed on three coats of lacquer and mailed them off so he could compare them to the actual chairs.   I also sent a rendering that had the stain color matched pretty close to the samples.  This sure would be easier if we did not live a thousand miles apart.  One caveat, the photos of the samples here are pretty close in color to what I sent but don’t match up exactly.  In addition, different monitors will show colors different, so please keep that in mind as you look at them. 

By  now I felt the stain needed just some minor tweaking to get a match so turned my attention to a final review of the table itself.  While doing that I noticed a disconnect in edge treatment.  While working on the original design of the legs and trim I clipped the edges at a 45-degree angle to make them a little friendlier to legs and other body parts when bumping into them.  For the dining top and playing rail I softened the edges with radius.  That meant I had two conflicting edge treatments.  After some discussion we decided to go with a radius to soften the edges.  Subsequent to this drawing I also radiused the trim pieces.

You know how a manufacture says “actual pieces may vary in color” well that’s what happened when my son got the samples and compared them against his chairs.  The sample that matched the chair here did not match the chairs at his house.  After more discussion on the difference I generated a couple more samples and ended up going the wrong direction in correction.  More discussion and a video call created 3 more samples plus an option for trim color.  One of these proved to be a color match but a little too light.  For now, I will call it good but do another darker sample set using cutoffs from the actual table material.

 As the piece had gone through a lot of iterations I generated a plan with critical dimensions for a final check before starting.  Tweaks now are easy to do compared to when it shows up for installation, think of the boat built in the basement that won’t fit out the door.

Of  course there were some small edits or at least they sound like small edits.  Most driven by the new chairs.  They have slightly different dimensions than his old ones so the piece was lengthened by 3/4”, the legs were made ½” narrower and their height was reduced by 1¾”.  I know it does not sound like much but when I got done there only a few, make that very few pieces that did not change in size.

If  you carefully look at the playing surface it changed from blue to red.  The red goes better with the new chairs and the rest of the room.  As I did some searching for the actual playing surface I found that we had pretty much two choices.  Solid colors and a print of the card suits repeated in a ¾” block.  However, there are some places that will print whatever graphic you provide them with onto the surface.  I sent him a couple of choices to think about.  One a simple two color pattern and one a little more exotic.



Next Up – Exploded View, Wood Selection, Layout & Initial Milling

No comments:

Post a Comment