Router Plane

Monday, October 17, 2016

Dining/Game Table - #9 Installing the Remaining Rails & Starting Playing Surface Structure

With the first leg in place I moved on to mounting the rest of the rails to the legs.  I could have stood the legs on the floor holding them in place with one hand on each, balance the rails in place with another hand, square the leg to the rail with a couple more hands and with my other two hands put on the clamps so I could drive the screws in.  As near as I can count that means I need to be at least an octopus.   A better alternative is to locate, square, clamp and screw in place the other leg while it is lying flat on the work bench.  From there I could balance the side rails vertically, square them, attach a clamp then screw them in place with just two hands. 
Attaching Rails to Legs
Next was to remove the side rails and set the first leg/long rail/leg sub-assembly aside.  I went through the same process with the other long rail and the two previously mounted side rails.  I took the side rails off the first sub-assembly and mounted them to the second sub-assembly for a reason.  When I go to put all the pieces together I don’t have to be as precise as when I put it together the first time.  I can just screw the side rails into place using the previously made holes.  That way as I tighten the screws down the rails and legs are going back exactly where they were when I had it flat on the bench squaring everything in the process.
All 4 Legs Attached


When all done this is what the leg to rail connection looks like. 
 
Leg to Rail Attachment
With the legs and rails together I could start on the support structure for the playing surface.  Another discussion with my son has reduced the playing surface down to two options.  The only real difference is a thickness variation of 1 mm.  Now I could work out the final details of how the playing surface structural support, outer rails, interior rails and the top arm rest would all tie together.  Four designs and three prototypes later I believe I have all the details worked out.  For now this is a section showing how all the components fit together.  There are quite a few screws that hold the parts together and I will get into them later as the pieces go together.
 
Table Section

With the design done I can begin working my up from the bottom of the structural support.  Here are the pieces that form the first layer, I will start with them. 
Structural Base Layer

First, I went through my stack of oak looking for a couple of pieces that were the ugliest.  Since these are under the table hidden from sight.  They needed to be structurally sound but do not need to look quite as nice as the ones exposed to view.   After laying out the needed pieces I cut the boards to length and checked for a good edge.  Straight and true does not describe what I had to work with.  The top part of the photo below shows the piece in the routing jig I use to cut a straight edge and the three bottom images show a close-up of the ends and center.  There is more than a 3/16” curve to this edge I needed to take out. 
Straightening Curved Edge

With the piece clamped in place I just had to run the router along the edge using the square tube as a guide.  Talk about a bad hair day!
 

Once done I have a clean, straight and true edge to work with.
 
Straight Edge
Using that straight edge I cut the needed pieces about 1/8” wider than the final width.  As I was cutting the last piece I noticed that there must have been some internal tension as the saw kerf started getting wider and wider the farther I cut through the piece.  Sure enough when I had completed the cut I had a piece with a nice curve to it.  Now seemed like a good time to quit for the day so I set all the pieces aside to see if any of the others were going to move around on me.  The next day I found two pieces had problems.  Easy fix, since I had cut the pieces slightly wider that the finished dimension.  I just set them in the routing jig I had used, cut a new straight edge then ripped all the parts to their final width.
 
Structural Support Pieces
Next is to cut the long side pieces to their final length and set them in place.  I then marked the ends for a notch that allows for clearance of a screw head that holds the end rail to the leg.  When I laid out the location of these screws I could have offset this one but decided to go with a location that gave me maximum leg to rail joint strength.
 
Structural Support & Screw Conflict 
I cut the notch on the table saw using a regular blade, a stop block and making two passes.
 
Cutting Notch
I could have used the dado blade to make the cut but would have spent more time doing the setup than taking two passes to make each of the four notches.  Here is what the notched piece looks like just set in place.
 
Finished Notch in Structural Support
With the long rails done I could run all the pieces through the thickness sander to clean up the scallops from the planer and give me a smooth surface.  I could have left them as-is because these are out of sight but I would know they were rough and I wanted to do it right.   Following that I cut the cross rails to length and temporarily clamped everything in place. 
 
Base Structural Layer in Place
You would think that assembling these pieces to form the support structure would be next but there is one more thing to deal with before I do that.


Next Up – Building a Flitch Beam & Installing MDF Playing Surface Support

No comments:

Post a Comment