Router Plane

Monday, May 30, 2016

Photo Club Cabinet – #6 Doors, Toe Kick, Hardware & Adjustable Shelves

The doors are next.  First is to change saw blade back to the plywood one and rip the doors to width.  Next is to cut to length.  In order to reduce splintering to a minimum I ran a strip of masking tape along where the cut will be then using the sled cut the doors to length.

Door Taped to Reduce Crosscut Splintering

To cover the raw plywood edges I will wrap the door edges with the same ¼” thick oak edging I used on the bottom fixed shelf except that these corners are mitered.  This photo shows the end oak piece rough cut to length.  Once the piece is trimmed to an exact fit it is glued and nailed on.
Fitting Oak Door Trim

After the glue dries I plane and scrape the edging down to the plywood surface then route a 1/8” radius on the edge.  This is the finished door edge.
Installed Oak Door Trim

I had one piece of solid oak left to do and that was the toe kick.  Because the toe kick cutout in the side was done with a jig saw I could not be sure that it was a true straight line.  To assure that I have a straight clean edge I set the sub frame piece back about 1/16” from the face which left the jig sawn edge a little proud of the sub frame.  Using a stack of dado blades a matching shallow cut in the to kick piece allows the jig sawn edge to float within the dado giving me my straight joint.
Dado Blade Stack & Cut in Toekick

Last step for this is to route a 1/8” radius on the four end edges.  To keep from blowing a chunk of wood out when the router bit exiting the cut I backed it up with a scrap.  Here I have un-clamped the scrap and pulled it away from the toe kick piece.
Radiused Edge on Toekick

Next up is putting on all the hardware; hinges, locks and handles.  This requires some decisions on spacing and once those are made a whole lot of measuring to make sure the hardware is a mirror image between the doors.  Note how the grain in the doors is almost a duplicate – planning and a little luck J.
Hardware Installed

Ever wonder how to get the pilot holes for hinges and the like perfectly centered?  I can’t remember how much time I wasted using an awl and eyeballing the center point of hinge mounting holes not to mention my less the stellar results.  The tool to get is a self-centering drill bit.  It’s chamfered nose centers in the hinge hole and produces a dead on centered pilot hole. 
Self Centering Drill Bit

There are 6 melamine faced adjustable shelves that are a part of the cabinet.  Except for the 100-pound sheet weight they are not very difficult to cut.  Fortunately, I had some help moving it and breaking it down to 2’x4’ pieces.  From there they are all cut out on the table saw.  Same process as the plywood case pieces.  I will be facing the exposed edge with a ¼” thick oak strip similar to the fixed plywood shelf.  One quirk is that the unfinished blank length and width dimensions are only 1/16” different.  To keep them straight I put a piece of tape on the front edge.  Once I clipped the corners (for AV cabling) it was easy to tell which edge gets the oak strip.
Melamine Shelf Blanks

I already had the oak strips to the correct ¼” thickness and the ¾” width.  Now that I had the shelves cut to the correct width I could match the strips length to it.  I will be staining and lacquering the strips before putting them on the shelves.  This is different than what I did for the plywood shelf for two reasons.  First, is that the thickness is much more consistent with this melamine shelving material than the plywood so I don’t have to worry about the edges not lining up.  Second, can you imagine trying to stain and spray lacquer on the strips after they are glued to the shelves without making a total mess?  

Rearranging the sequence means that I have to route a radius on the edges before I attach them to the shelves.  In working with narrow, thin pieces I change the method of routing.  Instead of running a hand router on the piece I will use the router table and run the piece by the bit.  Also, I want to keep my fingers away from that bit spinning at about 12,000 rpm’s.  The way to do this is to set the router table fence up so a minimum of the bit is exposed and use a push block to feed the piece.
Routing Long Edges of Oak Trim

Lastly, I routed a radius on the ends of the strips backing up the piece with a block to prevent any blowout of material as the bit exits the cut.
Routing End Grain

To make adjustable shelves adjustable you need holes, lots of holes for the shelf pins to go in.  Once again I had some help with the project in the form of a photo club member willing to drill the 88 holes for the shelves.  I use to lay out the spacing by hand using a ruler or divider then using an awl to punch the center point and finally drill the holes using a piece of tape on the drill as my depth gauge.  Drill too deep and you go through the side of the cabinet, which can ruin your day.  Finally, I broke down and got a template.  I also bought a bit similar in construction to the self-centering drill bit.  It has an outer sleeve the same diameter as the template hole plus a built-in depth stop so I don’t drill through the cabinet side.  Both the items were money well spent.

With the holes drilled the woodworking part of the project is pretty much finished up.


Next Up – Staining, Spraying Lacquer & Assembly

2 comments: